Why implement PBIS?
PBIS is a skill-building approach that strengthens the foundation of social skills for all students. Teaching behavioral expectations and rewarding students for following them is a much more positive approach than waiting for misbehavior to occur before responding. The purpose of schoolwide PBIS is to establish a climate in which appropriate behavior is the norm. Educators who work in schools that implement PBIS report a high level of satisfaction, citing the positive effects of being on the “same page” with their colleagues and experiencing improved school climate.
Schools that effectively implement PBIS demonstrate:
- Increased student connection to school community
- Increased instructional time
- Up to 50% reduction in office referral rates per year
- Reduction in overall exclusionary discipline
- More consistent attendance
- Higher academic achievement
- Improved overall school climate