The Elk Grove Unified School District Transportation Department provides home-to-school transportation to traditional, year-round and special education students who reside within the board-approved busing guidelines, as well as transportation for field trips. The district’s buses travel more than 2.5 million miles a year and transport more than 10,000 students each day.
Elk Grove Unified also recognizes the important role buses play in saving lives, reducing traffic and improving air quality.
The district operates one of the cleanest fleets in California. Thanks to grants from our local air quality district, Elk Grove Unified currently operates 20 buses that run on clean, compressed natural gas. In addition, the district received grant funding that enabled the placement of 58 particulate traps on buses – dramatically reducing emissions. Currently, Elk Grove Unified is pursuing other grant opportunities to test one of the first hybrid electric school buses when they become available.
How to Receive Bus Route Updates
Here Comes The Bus is an easy-to-use website and app that enables parents to see the location of their child’s school bus on a smartphone, tablet, or personal computer.
- View the real-time location of your child’s bus
- Access the app from your smartphone, tablet or computer
- Receive push notifications or email alerts
- Send your child to the bus stop at just the right time, every time.
For parents/guardians of students utilizing Elk Grove Unified School District’s bus transportation services, the following can provide information on how to receive bus updates in the event that a bus is delayed.
- Please make sure your contact information for your child/children is up to date in the District’s student information system (ParentVue/Synergy)
- Parents can login or create their free SchoolMessenger account by visiting: https://go.schoolmessenger.com/#/account/login
- Parents can also download the SchoolMessenger app to login and access their SchoolMessenger account.
- Note: EGUSD Bus Notifications are sent as a District Message – please make sure your District Message preference allows for at least phone, email or text in order to receive bus route updates.
To see how the preference function works, you can try InfoCenter for yourself now. Visit go.schoolmessenger.com or download the InfoCenter app from iTunes or Google Play.
Foggy Day / Inclement Weather Policy
Foggy or inclement weather may result in service delays or cancellations. By law, school buses are prohibited from traveling when there is less than 200 feet of visibility in each direction. Parents are advised to listen to or watch local television and radio stations for weather updates and service delays. You may also call our weather hotline at (916) 686-7733 and select #3 or check this website for updates. Students should not stand at the bus stop longer than 30 minutes beyond the usual bus arrival time. Remember, while the sun may have broken through in your area, your bus may still be experiencing delays.
Calculating Time Student Will Be Home on a Minimum Day
Example school is normally out at 3:00 pm and my student gets home at 3:45 pm so the ride is 45 minutes. If the school gets out at 1:00 pm today add the 45 minutes and they should be home at around 1:45 p.m.