PreK, TK-K and 1st Grade Registration Starts Wednesday, January 13, 2021 for 2021-2022 SY
ELK GROVE, Calif. – January 12, 2021 – The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) welcomes and invites parents with children ready for Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, Transitional Kindergarten and/or First Grade to register now. Income eligible parents of Pre-Kindergarten (PreK) Children (age three or four years old by September) and parents of Kindergarten (K) children (age five years old on or before September 1) or Transitional Kindergarten (TK) children (age five years old on or between September 2 and December 2) or First Grade (1st) children (age 6 years old on or before September 1) and who live within the district’s boundaries can begin registering for PreK, TK, K or First Grade on Wednesday, January 13, 2021.
PreK registration is income eligible and requires an appointment for registration. PreK registration for the 2021-22 school year begins January 13th. Inquire for PreK enrollment by calling the PreK mainline at 916-686-7595. If eligible, priority placement is based on certification date and age of the child. PreK parents can also visit our online PreK registration page.
Due to COVID safety protocols, New Student Welcome Packets will be available for pick-up outside the front office at all EGUSD elementary schools starting January 13th and for a touchless option, the New Student Welcome Packet can be downloaded from the EGUSD website. Part I of the Welcome Packet is required to begin the enrollment process. Supplemental forms may be downloaded and submitted to complete Parts II and/or III.
With the success of the District’s electronic randomized selection process that went into effect two years ago for year-round schools, all elementary schools will now use this process for Kindergarten registration. However, because TK programs are only at certain school sites, TK welcome packets will remain date and time stamped and are due back as soon as possible.
Due to COVID-19, EGUSD District officials are aware that some parents may have waited to enroll their Kindergartner and those students now meet the age of admittance for First Grade. Parents are welcome to register those students also at this time.
For the 2021-2022 school year, parents no longer need to wait in line to have their Kindergarten registration packet date stamped. Now, all Welcome Packets must be turned in to a student’s resident school by Thursday, February 25, 2021 in order to participate in the randomization process. Due to crowded conditions in Elk Grove Unified, there is a possibility that a child may be reassigned to another Elk Grove Unified elementary school. EGUSD is not able to guarantee placement for every child at their home school.
Several items are required to enroll your child in California public schools and PreK differs from TK-12. Proof of citizenship is not required for enrollment purposes. The following is required for enrollment in an Elk Grove Unified School District school.
The following is required for eligibility determination in an Elk Grove Unified School District Pre-Kindergarten Program.
- Age and legal name verification – ONE of the following:
- Birth certificate
- Other reliable document (e.g., passport, duly attested baptismal certificate, or other means prescribed by the Board [see EGUSD AR 5111])
- Identify the family size. Family size includes Parent(s) and/or Guardian(s) and total number of children.
- Provide total monthly gross income. Please include the most current and consecutive 30 days of any/all income in your calculation. Examples of income to consider:
- Check stubs
- Tax Return
The following is required for enrollment in an Elk Grove Unified School District school for grades TK – 12th:
When returning the completed enrollment form, you must bring the following items with you as required by California Education Code, Sections 48000-48070.6:
- Age and legal name verification – ONE of the following:
- Certified copy of a birth certificate or a statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth
- Baptismal certificate or official hospital record of birth;
- When none of the above is obtainable, an Affidavit for Proof of Age of Minor signed by the student’s parent/legal guardian may be accepted
- Immunization records (see Immunization Requirement Sheet in Part III of the Welcome Packet)
- Parent or Guardian Photo ID to verify the identity of the enrolling adult (Government-issued or non-government-issued ID are accepted; e.g., workplace ID badge, driver’s license, college ID, revolving credit card with photo, Costco membership card)
- Withdrawal grades/unofficial transcript (if applicable)
- Current proof of residence within the district (Note: must be a street address; P.O. Box is not acceptable) consisting of any ONE of the following with the present address and the name of the parent or legal guardian listed:
- Property tax payment receipts
- Mortgage statement, rental property contract, or lease agreement
- Current utility service (e.g., PG&E, SMUD, water, garbage, sewer) contract, statement, or payment receipt
- Rental property payment receipt
- Parent or guardian’s recent pay stub
- Voter registration
- Correspondence from a government agency (e.g., documentation from the Department of Human Assistance, court documents, motor vehicle registration, driver’s license, etc.).
- Declaration of residency executed by the student’s parent/guardian
- If the student is residing in the home of a caregiving adult within district boundaries, an affidavit executed by the care-giving adult
Any homeless or foster youth must be enrolled regardless of proof of residency. Support for families and schools is available through the District Liaison at (916) 686-7568.
There are unique residency requirements for children whose parents are on active military duty and whose parents were residents of the state and departed the state against their will. Support for families and schools in this situation is available through the Student Support and Health Services Department at (916) 686-7568.
Visit the Elk Grove Unified School District’s Enrollment Page found at:
Parents/Guardians seeking more information about the registration process can call the district’s PreK-6 Education office at (916) 686-7704.
About the Elk Grove Unified School District
The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 67 schools: 42 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 70 career-themed academies and pathways within 15 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and ensure that Every Student is Learning, in Every Classroom, in Every Subject, Every Day to Prepare College, Career and Life Ready Graduates.
# # #