[WRITTEN BY SACRAMENTO COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION]
Education and Health Leaders Collaborating to Inform Public
ELK GROVE, Calif . – March 2, 2020 – All 13 public school districts in Sacramento County and the Sacramento County Office of Education (SCOE) are teaming up with Sacramento County Public Health (SCPH) to provide students, families, and the public with the most accurate available information regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation in Sacramento County.
“We strongly urge all families in our school community to rely on their local school leaders and Sacramento County Public Health for accurate and timely information,” said Sacramento County Superintendent of Schools David W. Gordon. “We want to ensure that only accurate information about COVID-19 — particularly information about schools — circulates in our county.”
SCOE and local districts will communicate regularly with their school communities and pass along reliable novel coronavirus and related medical information provided by SCPH and/or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
“We believe this joint guidance effort is the best way to get credible information out to parents and the entire Sacramento County community,” said Sacramento County Public Health Officer Dr. Olivia Kasirye. “Our goal is to stop rumors before they start and prevent the spread of disinformation.”
Since news of coronavirus cases began circulating, SCPH has been providing “Letters to Families” and updated guidance as quickly as new information is received. Districts will regularly forward these letters to their school communities.
Meantime, Sacramento County Public Health and all Sacramento County school districts, released these joint guidelines:
- Students and school staff should go about their daily lives and practice normal cold and flu season precautions:
- Stay home if you have a fever or are feeling sick.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when sneezing or coughing.
- Wash your hands with soap and water often. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Routinely clean frequently touched surfaces.
- The flu vaccine will not protect against COVID-19, but it is highly recommended to help keep you healthy.
- If students or staff come in contact with an infected person they should stay home, contact their medical provider, and call Sacramento County Public Health at (916) 875-5748. If someone must quarantine or isolate, they will be directed to do so by Sacramento County Public Health.
- Some students may come to school wearing facemasks. The CDC does not recommend the use of facemasks among healthy individuals; however, it is important that anyone wearing a mask be treated with respect and not fear. N95 respirator masks are not designed for and should not be worn by children.
- The Health Department makes no recommendations at this time for cancellation of public events.
- If an outbreak occurs, and school closures are recommended or ordered, decisions will be made following discussion between the school district involved and SCPH.
About the Elk Grove Unified School District
The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 67 schools: 42 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 70 career-themed academies and pathways within 15 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and ensure that Every Student is Learning, in Every Classroom, in Every Subject, Every Day to Prepare College, Career and Life Ready Graduates.
# # #