January 14, 2020
The focal foundation of this progress report is “Student-Centered Support” systems that are designed and implemented to respond to the diverse needs of students. The goals of this foundation are to improve school climate, improve systems of support to increase the academic success of students, and increase student engagement.
The featured equity actions in this report focus on examples student-centered support provided at school sites that include behavioral and socioemotional interventions.
- Equity Action 1 – PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) Tier 3: This presentation provides a leading example of how Elitha Donner Elementary School has formed a Tier 3 Team to coordinate Tier 3 interventions for students in most need of behavioral supports. A video link for more information on the “Stop, Walk, and Talk” campaign is provided below:
- Equity Action 2 – Restorative Circles and Expect Respect: This presentation provides an example of how Monterey Trail High School has built capacity for the application of restorative community circles and the Expect Respect district campaign to discipline and conflict resolution, as well as to support students in need of behavior and socioemotional interventions. Links for more information on the “Community Circles” restorative practice and the “Expect Respect” campaign are provided below:
The actions highlighted in this report are the result of the following partners in race and educational equity, amongst others:
- Education Services Division
- Elitha Donner Elementary School
- Office of Educational Equity
- Office of Behavioral Health
- Monterey Trail High School
- Student Supports and Health Services Department
About the Elk Grove Unified School District
The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 67 schools: 42 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 70 career-themed academies and pathways within 15 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and ensure that Every Student is Learning, in Every Classroom, in Every Subject, Every Day.
# # #