As our school has grown, the traffic pressure around the school has increased significantly. Last year the traffic situation along Cobble Brook was identified as an area of serious concern and discussed at our School Site Council. While year round has helped alleviate some of the traffic pressure, safety concerns remain.
Beginning Monday, August 11th, we will initiate a structured and controlled drop-off (8:10am) and pick-up (2:40) along Cobble Brook. The plan for cars consists of the following:
· A designated drop-off and pick-up lane marked by cones
· Traffic controls by staff and initially by law enforcement
· Once you enter the drop-off/pick-up lane, remain in the lane until you exit at the end.
· IMPORTANT – There will no longer be any parking/stopping on Cobble Brook the length
of the wrought-iron fence.
· Kindergarten parents needing to walk their child to class may use the open curb space along both sides of Anatolia and cross at the crosswalk or use curb space on other side streets.
· Children being dropped off will need to have their backpacks on and be ready to disembark.
· Children being picked up along Cobble Brook will need to:
Go promptly to the pick area.
Watch of their parent’s/daycare provider’s car.
Wait in a single file along the fence preceding pick-up.
Parents will not be allowed to hold up the lane to wait for the arrival of late children.
· AM Kindergarten and TK parents may elect to use the K-Valet system. (See below)
· No U Turns or double parking
· Respect the property rights of our neighbors. Do not block or park in their driveways.
· NEW – All pedestrians need to go down to the Anatolia crosswalk to cross the street. No parent should be crossing Cobble Brook in the middle of the street with or without their child.
· During PM Kinder arrival and AM Kinder departure, the volume of traffic is greatly reduced. Existing traffic practices can remain in effect.
A map was provided on the letter sent home with students.
K-Valet System for Morning Kindergarten and TK Students at Drop-off
For safety reasons, we ask that all transitional kindergarten and kindergarten students be escorted to and picked up from the classroom by a parent, daycare provider, or responsible older sibling. Kindergarten parents will need to park on available curb space (not on Cobble Brook) or in the parking lot and walk their child to class. Please make use of the kindergarten gate and do not use the office for through traffic.
For morning TK and kindergarten students (AM schedule), we will offer a K-Valet system. This system is designed for kindergarten students who are ready for a little more independence in getting from the car to the classroom. The valet system is only offered in the morning for the start of school for students on the AM schedule.
· Display the bright orange K-Valet card in the lower right front window of your car.
· Pull into the Cobble Brook Drop-off Lane
· Your car will be greeted by a sixth grade Kindergarten Valet. Valets will be wearing bright orange T-shirts….to match the bright orange card in your card window.
· Your child needs to be able to tell the valet the name of their teacher.
· The valet will escort your child to the appropriate classroom.
Kindergarten Students with Older Responsible Siblings
If your kindergarten child has an older sibling that is responsible, the older sibling may drop off and pick up their kindergarten age brother/sister. Please make prior arrangements with your child’s kindergarten teacher. The family may then use the Cobble Brook Drop-off and Pick-up Lane.