February 5, 2019
On January 16, 2018, the Elk Grove Unified School District held a Community Forum on Race and Educational Equity with approximately 500 Elk Grove Unified School District community members and stakeholders in attendance. After a review of the information that had been gathered, meetings scheduled and new community relationships built, at the Board Workshop on January 24, 2018, the District summarized and implemented an action plan comprising the Board’s discussion and comments on work needed within the District to systematically and boldly innovate and implement best practices to ensure equity and social justice in Elk Grove Unified. Six strategies emerged to ensure that equitable decisions, policies, and practices are supportive of all students’ learning, growth and development.
Professional Learning Development
- EGUSD Educational Equity Strategic Plan Published in April 2018
- Principal Meetings Held to Discuss the District’s Direction on Educational Equity, Incident Reporting and Student Discipline Policy Changes
- Student Discipline Policy Changes and Innovations
- Board Policies and Administrative Regulations Reviewed, Revised and Approved in December 2018
- Development of New Discipline Matrix Completed in December 2018
- Final review being completed by legal
- Training has begun with site administrators
- Implementation will begin in full in July of 2019
- Administration Training on New Policies Began December 2018 and is ongoing
Curriculum and Instruction
- The Ethnic Studies Now Elk Grove group continues to collaborate and work with District and Ms. Dawniell Black will be convening an Ethnic Studies Now subcommittee that will work toward creating an Ethnic Studies course for Elk Grove Unified.
School and Community Relationships
- PARSS (Partners Accountable and Responsible for Student Success) District and Community Formal Group to Meet Quarterly Beginning January 17, 2019
- The Office of Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Community Connection Newsletter Developed in March 2018 and Home Visitation Newsletter Developed in 2019
- Incident Reporting System Training, Communication and Implementation Spring 2019
- Student Leadership in Equity group development
- Planning and input through school year 2018/19
- Implementation in 2019/20
Opportunity and Access
- Synergy Mail Developed August 2018
- VIP Student Monthly Bulletin on Volunteering, Scholarships, College and Career Preparation and Internships
Recruitment, Hiring, and Retention
- Saturday, February 2, 2019, on the campus of California State University, East Bay in Hayward.
- On Wednesday, February 6 and Thursday, February 7, 2019, EGUSD will participate in the California Virtual Teaching Career Fairs.
- Saturday, March 16, 2019, at the Robert L. Trigg Education Center in Elk Grove, EGUSD will host a recruitment event for certificated positions.
- On Thursday, March 28, 2019, EGUSD will participate in Education Week’s “Top School Jobs Expo.”
- On Thursday, June 6, 2019, at Joseph Kerr Middle School in Elk Grove, EGUSD will host a recruitment event for classified personnel.
About the Elk Grove Unified School District
The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 67 schools: 42 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 70 career-themed academies and pathways within 15 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and ensure that Every Student is Learning, in Every Classroom, in Every Subject, Every Day.
# # #