(916) 686-7732 egusdcom@egusd.net

August 14, 2018

Professional Learning Development

• Superintendent Hoffman will have presented at each pre-service meeting in July and August and at the all principals and vice principals meeting held on August 9th to introduce and reinforce the District’s vision of equity, developing an outward mindset and that the only way we can improve the outcomes for our students is if we, as individuals and as an organization improve our practices.

Curriculum and Instruction

• The District is currently promoting the parent and community preview dates for the newly proposed K-8 History/Social Science Instructional materials and that on those days, the District will seek parent and community feedback. This newly amended curriculum aims to accurately portray the cultural and racial diversity of our society and includes Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders, European Americans, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Americans, Persons with Disabilities and Members of other Ethnic and Cultural Groups. The preview timeframe is between 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. at the District Office in the Express Cafe on the following dates:

Tuesday, August 14, 2018
Monday, September 10, 2018
Thursday, October 11, 2018
Tuesday, November 6, 2018
Wednesday, November 14, 2018
Friday, December 14, 2018

School and Community Relationships

• Representatives from Elk Grove Unified attended a special seminar featuring Dr. Luke Wood in July sponsored by the Sacramento NAACP on the topic of “Examining the Racial Exclusion of Black Males in Sacramento County.” The presentation was instructive and proposed that school districts consider implementing several recommendations: provide intensive ongoing professional development; establish advocates for Foster Youth; assess existing discipline policies; provide avenues for student voice; consider restorative justice as an alternative to suspension; eliminate suspension in early childhood education; recognize that cultural differences are not cultural deficits; analyze school and school district data; create district-level intervention plans for suspension; and prepare district personnel to understand, identify, and respond to trauma.
  • Representatives from Elk Grove Unified attended several community events during the summer months to engage with families and prospective families, the community and to lend support to those in need. Events included the Village Family Day in the Valley Region (6/30), Consulate General of Mexico’s Event for Educators and Human Rights Activists (7/26), 25th Annual Optimist Childspree at Kohl’s event (7/28), Valley Hi Family Resource Center Event (8/2), National Nightout with the North Laguna Creek Valley Hi Community Association, Inc. (8/7), and representatives will be at the upcoming 2018 CommUNITY Resource Fair, the Multicultural Festival, Power of I Conference, Equity Forum and Feria de Educación.

Student-Centered Supports

• Two specific actions have been taken to expand and enrich opportunities for meaningful student voice:
    • Students of Diversity Leadership Council: The goal of the council is to provide authentic student advocacy for students who face significant obstacles in school and to ensure they have access to the resources they need to succeed academically and socially.
    • Updated Student Board Reports: Because of the recent rich content-filled presentations with actions and activities occurring at our schools that support and encourage cultural awareness, sensitivity and positive community outreach, the student board report format will be updated to include academic information, school culture and climate, community outreach and athletics and activities.Students will also continue to be encouraged to use media presentations to accompany their presentations.

Opportunity and Access

• Technology Services recently announced the launch of Synergy Mail, which will enable District staff to send college, career, scholarship and intern/volunteer opportunities and information to secondary students.
    • Examples of notifications will include:
      • HBCU College Fair (9/15)
      • High School Voter Education Weeks
      • EGUSD College and Career Fair (10/16)
      • Map Your Future (10/25)
      • Elk Grove Regional Scholarship (11/1)

Recruitment, Hiring, and Retention

• Several administrative and leadership positions continue to be filled with the best and brightest candidates who reflect and identify with the diversity of our District’s students and families.

About the Elk Grove Unified School District

The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 67 schools: 42 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 70 career-themed academies and pathways within 15 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and ensure that Every Student is Learning, in Every Classroom, in Every Subject, Every Day.

For more information about the Elk Grove Unified School District, please visit www.egusd.net and follow us @ElkGroveUnified on FacebookTwitterInstagramLinkedIn and Eventbrite.

# # #

Skip to toolbar