(916) 686-7732 egusdcom@egusd.net

February 6, 2018

Outcomes of Community Forum on Race and Educational Equity

On January 16th, approximately 500 Elk Grove Unified School District community members and stakeholders attended the Community Forum and nearly 70 parents voiced what was in their hearts and on their minds. Following the meeting was a review and examination of the information gathered, scheduling of follow-up meetings, building of new partnerships, broadening of existing relationships and setting of immediate goals and long term plans. At the Board Workshop on January 24th, the District took notes on the Board’s discussion and comments on work needed to systematically and boldly innovate and implement best practices to ensure equity and social justice in Elk Grove Unified. Six strategies emerged to ensure that equitable decisions, policies, and practices are supportive of all students’ learning, growth and development.

Key Topics Learned from Board Member Comments on Race and Educational Equity

• Professional Learning (for teachers, administrators, staff, students, families): Institutionalized Racism, Bias, Discipline, Specialist Roles
  • School and Community Relationships: Stakeholder Communications and Community Engagement
  • Student-Centered Supports: School Climate and Student Voice
  • Curriculum: Reviews to ensure that contributions of diverse persons are included
  • Opportunity and Access: Policy Reviews
  • Recruitment, Hiring, and Retention: Staff Diversity

Immediate Action and Next Steps

• Add Board Agenda Item to Board Meetings to provide the Board and the community with regular progress reports related to Race and Educational Equity in EGUSD
  • Review Board feedback and categorize identified needs
  • Finalize and approve the District’s Educational Equity Strategic Plan: The plan provides the structure and guidelines for the identification and replication of successful, existing programs, and the design, development, implementation and evaluation of new programs and services
  • Continue support for Pleasant Grove High School
    • Communications and Administrative Support
    • Parent Informational Meeting scheduled for February 22, 2018
  • Plan Principal Meetings: February 13, 20 and 27
    • Strategic Plan updates
    • Implementation expectations
    • Gathering site-based feedback

About the Elk Grove Unified School District

The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 67 schools: 42 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 70 career-themed academies and pathways within 15 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and ensure that Every Student is Learning, in Every Classroom, in Every Subject, Every Day.

For more information about the Elk Grove Unified School District, please visit www.egusd.net and follow us @ElkGroveUnified on FacebookTwitterInstagramLinkedIn and Eventbrite.

# # #

Skip to toolbar