(916) 686-7732 egusdcom@egusd.net
EGUSD School Board Prepares to Move Forward Together with Parents, Students and Staff

ELK GROVE, Calif.—January 17, 2018—Thanks to an engaged public, approximately 500 Elk Grove Unified School District community members and stakeholders attended the Special Meeting of the Board of Education to stand up and speak out for their children and change. Close to 70 parents, students (current and former), siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, administrators and community leaders voiced what was in their hearts and on their minds. Participants also shared written personal stories and experiences and offered suggestions and support.

Board President Nancy Chaires Espinoza received applause for her opening remarks, “As your Board, we want to make it clear that in solidarity with our entire school community, bullying, hate speech, expressions of hate and hateful acts of any kind are not, and will not be tolerated at any school within the Elk Grove Unified School District. Consequences for such behavior will be clear and swift. As a parent, it’s been heartbreaking to hear the hateful speech that some of our students have been exposed to. As a board member, I recognize that our responsibility to make our students feel safe and welcome at school is even more important than our educational programs.”

Holding the Special Meeting signaled the beginning of change and acknowledgement from District officials that EGUSD employees and leaders can and will do more to ensure that equitable decisions, policies, and practices are supportive of all students’ learning, growth and development. Superintendent Christopher R. Hoffman reiterated his earlier message, “Equity, inclusion and acceptance must be integrated into the mindset, work and lives of every Elk Grove Unified employee, student, family and community member.” The work ahead for the Board and the District will include a review and examination of the information gathered, scheduling of follow-up meetings, building new partnerships, broadening existing relationships and setting immediate goals and long term plans.

About the Elk Grove Unified School District

The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 67 schools: 42 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 70 career-themed academies and pathways within 15 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and ensure that Every Student is Learning, in Every Classroom, in Every Subject, Every Day.

For more information about the Elk Grove Unified School District, please visit www.egusd.net and follow us @ElkGroveUnified on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Eventbrite.

# # #

Skip to toolbar