(916) 686-7732 egusdcom@egusd.net
The Distinction Recognizes the School’s Dedication to Student Success by Building College and Career Readiness Skills

ELK GROVE, Calif. – August 16, 2017 – Elated teachers and staff cheered about Cosumnes Oaks High School’s bronze medal in honor of their dedication to student success with the Focus on College and Career program. Cosumnes Oaks High School’s Program Coordinator, Jennifer Ramos, proudly grinned and said, “Our Focus on College and Career program positively impacts our students by providing them opportunities to explore post-secondary options and possible career paths. They gain valuable skills to help them not only envision, but plan for a future that will be achievable and rewarding.”

As a bronze medal school, Cosumnes Oaks High School has demonstrated exemplary implementation of the Career Choices series, an award-winning curriculum that builds college and career readiness skills as it walks students through the development of a personalized 10-year Plan. These materials, from publisher Academic Innovations, align with the national Freshman Transition Standards from The George Washington University’s Freshman Transition Initiative and provide the foundation course for the Get Focused…Stay Focused!® Initiative.

As Mindy Bingham, founder of and co-author of the “Academic Innovations and Career Choices” book, points out: “By developing a 10-year education and career plan in a Freshman Transition course, young people learn how to project into the future and understand the consequences of the choices they make today. Students who do this are far less likely to drop out of school (high school or college), abuse substances, or become teen parents because they understand the ways in which their actions today will impact the rest of their lives.”

The Cosumnes Oaks High School Focus on College and Career team is committed to enhancing student success and workforce readiness. For more information about these efforts and how you can be involved in this program at Cosumnes Oaks High School, please contact: Jennifer Ramos at JMRamos@egusd.net.

About the Columbia Scholastic Press Association

Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) is a voluntary membership-based organization that was founded by Columbia University in 1925. The Association brings together student editors from all over the world, and faculty advisors in an effort to produce student newspapers, magazines, yearbooks and online media.

About the Elk Grove Unified School District

The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 67 schools: 42 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 70 career-themed academies and pathways within 15 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and ensure that Every Student is Learning, in Every Classroom, in Every Subject, Every Day.

For more information about the Elk Grove Unified School District, please visit www.egusd.net and follow us @ElkGroveUnified on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Eventbrite.

# # #

Skip to toolbar