(916) 686-7732 egusdcom@egusd.net
Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) Awarded the Katherine Albiani Middle School Falcon Nation Yearbook Staff with a Prestigious Yearbook Design Award

ELK GROVE, Calif. – April 19, 2017 – The Columbia Scholastic Press Association awarded Katherine L. Albiani Middle School (KAMS) yearbook staff the prestigious yearbook design award. Being one of 147 Silver Crown recipients, teacher Christine Hills proudly explained, “We were focused on making a book that would be relevant now and for years to come. Our memories fade but the yearbook is really the only piece of history you carry with you from year to year. We tried to take an accurate snapshot of each student with all his or her quirks, unique experiences, and triumphs big or small. Yearbook is arguably the best class to prepare a student for life-ranging, from learning to communicate to executing a high caliber of work with several real life deadlines.” The staff’s goal was to eliminate stereotypes and to humanize as many students as possible whether it was through a story about a student who survived two house fires, or another who proudly wore pink for his mom, a cancer survivor.

A total of 1,100 newspapers, magazines, yearbooks and digital publications issued during the 2015-2016 academic year were made eligible for the 2017 Crown Awards program. Winners were announced at the 93rd Scholastic Convention on March 17, 2017 at Columbia University in New York City. KAMS yearbook staff earned 19 awards from associations like JEA (Journalism Education Association) and JEANC (Journalism Education Association of Northern California).

About the Columbia Scholastic Press Association

Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) is a voluntary membership-based organization that was founded by Columbia University in 1925. The Association brings together student editors from all over the world, and faculty advisors in an effort to produce student newspapers, magazines, yearbooks and online media.

About the Elk Grove Unified School District

The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 65 schools: 40 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 40 career-themed academies and pathways within 13 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and strive for having every student learning in every classroom, every subject, every day.

For more information about the Elk Grove Unified School District, please visit www.egusd.net and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

# # #

Skip to toolbar