EGUSD Demonstrated Low Occurrence of Student Groups in Orange/Red, Indicating Both Relatively High Student Group Performance and Low Disproportionality Among Student Groups
ELK GROVE, Calif. – March 15, 2017 – California released its new website designed to help communities across the state access important information about K–12 districts and schools – including ours. Known as the California School Dashboard, the site features easy-to-read reports on multiple measures of school success, including test scores, graduation rates, English language learner progress and suspension rates.
School Superintendent Christopher R. Hoffman conveyed, “We live and breathe by continuous improvement and this new tool illustrates the state’s interest to embrace that same philosophy. We need to be able to examine all dimensions of school performance, including non-academic measures, to monitor our gains for an equitable education for all students and having that information in one location in this new Dashboard is a fabulous start. I’m happy to see that we’re headed in the right direction.”
A quick way for parents to locate a school’s strengths is to check for green or blue state indicators. For yellow indicators, a parent should check the Status and Change Report for Change levels of “Increased” and “Increased Significantly”—these indicate that the school is demonstrating progress in improving these areas. Green is the target or goal color for the state indicators, and blue is the highest level. The colors show how well the school, district, or subgroup performed on the state indicators; blue represents the highest performance while red represents the lowest. More generally, blue and green indicate good performance, yellow is the color where most schools fall, and orange and red indicate performance in need of improvement.
Elk Grove Unified is in alignment with the state’s perspective that California’s future success depends on tapping into the potential of all students, so they graduate ready for college, careers, and life. At the local level, each year, school administrators will review the updated dashboard for their school along with a wide variety of timely, locally provided information to assess student and school outcomes. Administrators will discuss these findings with their staff and integrate them into their ongoing planning efforts to continually improve teaching and learning at their school.
EGUSD English Language Arts and Mathematics Performance Summary
- EGUSD performance in English-language Arts for students in Spring 2016 was Medium, but Increased from Spring 2015, resulting in green performance for the district overall. Among district elementary and middle schools, 44% showed blue/green performance and 2% showed red.
- EGUSD performance in Mathematics for students in Spring 2016 was Medium, and Maintained from Spring 2015, resulting in yellow performance for the district overall. Among district elementary and middle schools, 46% showed blue/green performance and 4% showed red.
EGUSD English Language Learners Progress
- The percentage of English Learners making progress toward English proficiency was Medium in 2014-15, and Maintained from 2013-14, resulting in yellow performance overall. Among district schools, 39% showed blue/green performance and 9% showed red.
EGUSD Graduation Rate (Comprehensive High Schools)
- The graduation rate for the class of 2015 was High and Increased from the class of 2014, resulting in green performance for the district overall. All comprehensive district high schools showed blue/green performance.
EGUSD Suspension Rate
- Elk Grove Unified’s suspension rate for the 2014-15 school year was High, but Declined from 2013-14, resulting in yellow performance overall, and no student groups with red performance. 35% of our 57 district schools showed blue/green performance and 5% showed red.
About California School Dashboard Visit: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/cm/index.asp
About the Elk Grove Unified School District
The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is the fifth-largest school district in California located in southern Sacramento County. EGUSD covers 320 square miles and includes 65 schools: 40 elementary schools, nine middle schools, nine high schools, five alternative education schools, an adult school, one charter school and a virtual academy. Offering a multitude of educational programs, including over 40 career-themed academies and pathways within 15 industry sectors, we prepare our students for college and career by supporting them with the means to be creative problem solvers; self-aware, self-reliant, and self-disciplined; technically literate; effective communicators and collaborators; and engaged in the community as individuals with integrity. We integrate rigorous academics with career-based learning and real world workplace experiences and strive for having every student learning in every classroom, every subject, every day.
# # #