To Enroll

  1. Identify your home school. Use our online school boundary locator. (
  2. Pick up an enrollment packet from your home school or download a copy (Feickert Welcome Packet)
  3. Review the enrollment process checklist and complete the enrollment section.
  4. Submit completed enrollment paperwork and documents to your home school in person or by email.

Enrollment Required Document Checklist

The following is required for enrollment in an Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) school.

  • Age and legal name verification – ONE of the following:
    • Certified copy of a birth certificate or a statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth
    • Baptismal certificate or official hospital record of birth;
    • Passport
    • When none of the above is obtainable, an Affidavit for Proof of Age of Minor signed by the student’s parent/legal guardian may be accepted
  • Immunization records (see Immunization Requirement Sheet in Part III of this packet)
  • Parent or Guardian Photo ID to verify the identity of the enrolling adult (Government-issued or non-government-issued ID are accepted; e.g., workplace ID badge, driver’s license, college ID, revolving credit card with photo, Costco membership card)
  • Withdrawal grades/unofficial transcript (if applicable)
  • Current proof of residence within the district (Note: must be a street address; P.O. Box is not acceptable) consisting of any ONE of the following with the present address and the name of the parent or legal guardian listed:
    • Property tax payment receipts
    • Mortgage statement, rental property contract, or lease agreement
    • Current utility service (e.g., PG&E, SMUD, water, garbage, sewer) contract, statement, or payment receipt
    • Rental property payment receipt
    • Parent or guardian’s recent pay stub
    • Voter registration
    • Correspondence from a government agency (e.g., documentation from the Department of Human Assistance, court documents, motor vehicle registration, driver’s license, etc.).
    • Declaration of residency executed by the student’s parent/guardian
    • If the student is residing in the home of a caregiving adult within district boundaries, an affidavit executed by the care-giving adult


Any homeless or foster youth must be enrolled regardless of proof of residency. Support for families and schools is available through the District Liaison at (916) 686-7568.

There are unique residency requirements for children whose parents are on active military duty and whose parents were residents of the state and departed the state against their will. Support for families and schools in this situation is available through the Student Support and Health Services Department at (916) 686-7568.

Dental Screening and Oral Health Information

California law requires proof of a dental screening by May 31 of a student’s first year of public school, whether it is kindergarten or first grade.

Primary teeth, also known as milk or baby teeth, play a vital role in children for eating, speaking, and smiling. They also hold space in the jaws for permanent teeth which are growing under the gums. Problems with primary teeth often cause pain and swelling which can cause distress to the child and lead to the inability to chew or speak properly.

Oral health is a valuable asset to a child’s overall health and to learning. Oral health includes not only the teeth and gums, but also the hard and soft palate, the mucosal lining of the mouth and throat, the tongue, the lips, the salivary glands, the chewing muscles and the jaw. By children receiving an early thorough oral examination, it can detect the early signs of nutritional deficiencies as well as a number of systemic diseases.

The screening must be done by a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional within 12 months of enrollment. If a dental check-up cannot be obtained, parents may be excused from this requirement by filling out a form stating that the oral health assessment could not be completed because of one or more of the following reasons:

  • Completion of an assessment poses an undue financial burden on the parent or legal guardian.
  • Lack of access by the parent or legal guardian to a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional.
  • The parent or legal guardian does not consent to an assessment.

The law, California Education Code Section 49452.8, went into effect in 2007. The goal of the law is to establish dental care for every child. The screenings will identify children who need further examination and dental treatment. EGUSD adheres to the same privacy requirements per the California Department of Education. For more information click on the link,

Parents who have questions about the dental screenings can call the District’s Student Support & Health Services Department at (916) 686-7568.

For additional support in accessing a dentist, call the toll-free telephone number to obtain eligibility requirements and request an application:

  • Early Smiles Sacramento: (916) 572-4860
  • Medi-Cal: 1-800-322-6384
  • Child Health and Disability Prevention Program: (916) 875-7151
  • Sacramento County Public Health Department: (916) 875-5947

Physical Exam (First Grade Only)

State law requires that for each child enrolling in the first grade, the parent or guardian must present a certificate, signed by a physician, verifying that the child has received a physical examination within the last 18 months. If your child does not receive this exam, you must file a waiver with the school district stating the reasons you are unable to obtain such services. You must understand that your child may be sent home if you fail to provide the certificate or waiver, or if your child is suspected to be suffering from a contagious disease. You may find it convenient to have your child immunized at the same time that the physical examination is conducted. [E.C. 49450; Health and Safety Code 124085, 124100, 124105]

These services may be available to you at no cost through the Child Health and Disability Prevention Program (CHDP). For more information, you may contact Sacramento County CHDP at (916) 875-7151.