Every EGUSD high school has a career center that is staffed with trained and professional counselors and staff who are experts at guiding students towards college and careers. High school career centers assist students and parents in making plans during and after high school. The career center contains academic, career and personal/social information to assist students with their individual plans.
Tools in the Career Center
- Computers. Each career center is equipped with computers to search the Internet for financial aid, college and scholarship information, occupational tools, study skills, job searches, college entrance testing resources and dates, apprenticeships, military resources, and any basic/thinking skills or personal qualities needed to be successful in the 21st century workplace.
- Reference Library. Each career center is equipped with a reference library, categorized with reference books on college information, testing information, occupational information, and personal information. Some career centers have brochures, videos and CD’s. (Videos and CDs are available at some schools.)
- College Visitations. Visiting college representatives are scheduled at various times throughout the school year to interview and provide information to students who are interested in their academic institutions.
Counseling Department Assistance
- The counseling department’s goal is to provide the student with information to help develop an educational plan, assist in employment techniques, offer career information, help students realize their goals and provide them with techniques that will have a productive influence in society.
- They encourage visits to college and may assist in college interviews.
- They present information to prepare students for the 4-year high school plan and offer a career planning guide and resume writing information.
- They assist the student in their assessment of interests, goals and plans after high school.